Monday, April 17, 2006

I Survived the Hospital

What a week I've had, well Mickey and the kids too.  Last Tuseday night we went to a friends house for a little get together.  On the way there I noticed that I was starting to get heartburn.  Great.  On the way home, a few hours later, it was really starting to hurt through to my back.  The thought of taking some Tums made me nauseated.  I tried drinking as much water as I could to try to dilute the acid in my stomach but it wasn't helping.  I tried going to bed but I was really in pain.  Needless to say I finally tossed my cookies, a few times, in the wee hours of the morning and my pain was even worse.  I couldn't get comfortable to sleep.  I tried laying on a heating pad for my back pain.  The pain started getting better around 4 am so I could finally get some sleep.  Mickey was wonderful and stayed home from work so he could get the girls to school.  He took Kade to work with him for a meeting.  I slept most of the morning, tossing and turning.  The pain never went away like I thought it would.  Around 3 in the afternoon I had Mickey call our doctor's office to see if I could get in.  Well, I've never been a patient at our new doctor's yet so I couldn't get an appointment.  Remind me I need to see him sometime.  Anyway, I said let's go to the ER.  Not that I really wanted to go there but I wasn't feeling better and I was white as a ghost.  We waited 2 hours before getting a bed.  I had an ultrasound on my belly.  They found some stones in my gall bladder.  To make a long story short, I was admitted on Wednesday, had my gall bladder removed on Thursday, and I was home again on Friday.  The gall bladder was about twice the size as if should have been.  So I guess it really needed to come out.  Althought the surgery went well and I'm recovering nicely, I DO NOT recommend a hospital stay to anyone.  The communication was awful and I didn't get much help.  Thankfully I'm independant and didn't have much pain after surgery.  I'm happy to be home again.  Thanks to Mickey for picking up my slack.  I feel so lazy as I lay around and he is doing housework and taking care of the kids.  Thanks also to our parents for their help with the kids.  It would have been very difficult without you.

1 comment:

Mickey Standiford said...

I can't believe the lack of help Kelly received in the hospital. I really hope they are short on nurses and that it's not the way they run the hospital all the time. I'm glad you are feeling better sweetheart and glad to be there to help you through it.