Tuesday, August 15, 2006

We Survived

Today was quite a day. The day started with Megan calling me at work to tell me that Little Bowser (one of her goldfish) had died. Just what we needed on the first day of 2nd grade. Kelly said she was pretty upset at first but she was pretty calm by the time I talked to her. She had the traditional first day of school pictures and then she was off on her bus. We met her 2nd grade teacher last night and she seemed very nice. Megan was excited because she knew who this teacher was and had visited her classroom last year.

All aboard

I took lunch a little early so I could see Mattey get on the bus on her first day of Kindergarten (it doesn't even seem possible). As soon as I walked in the door she said, "Look Dad!" She had a hole in her mouth where last night there was a tooth. It was loose but we didn't think it was that loose. While eating her Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich she said, "Ouch" and started to cry. Kelly looked and there was blood around her tooth. Mattey went into the bathroom to look and a few seconds later she came out with tooth in hand. She pulled it out. Unreal! As if the first day of Kindergarten isn't enough excitement.

This hole feels weird

Then came the next episode. We waited for her bus for 45 minutes after the scheduled pickup time. Buses normally run late on the first day with all the parents taking pictures of their little Kindergartners, but this was ridiculous. Finally I got a hold of transportation and they said that Mattey's bus had a mechanical failure and the driver had to switch buses. All this waiting to see Mattey get on the bus for the first time and finally Kelly just took her to school. Of course the bus arrived at school just as Kelly was leaving.

On the look out for the bus

Anyway I made it home to see Mattey and Megan get off the bus together. What an incredible site to see both of them getting off looking all big and cute. I think that was about all the excitement I could have handled in my fragile state. There are plenty of pictures in the Flickr photoset titled "1st Day of School - 2006".

Coming home together

1 comment:

Kelly Standiford said...

What a day that was. Thankfully I started a new routine with the girls so some big decisions had already been made before they ever got up. The dead fish and the tooth pulling only slowed things down a little and there was enough extra time, especially waiting for the bus, to make sure they were out the door on time. I'm glad that the girls had a good day at school. I was rather giddy that they were going back. Kade and I get some quality time together that we've never really had. But he does sleep most of the time that Mattey is gone. Then I have quality time for myself. Hooray!