Last Monday my friend Janel had a baby girl named Lily. I just had to make something for her. I decided on a rag quilt. Since I knew she was coming I started shopping for the quilt a while ago. I found two cute print flannels and kept searching for a third print or solid to go with them. I found a solid. When I was cutting the blocks out I noticed the print flannels weren't actually 44" like most are. They were barely 42" which means I couldn't get enough blocks out of what I bought. I went back to JoAnn for more. They only had a little of one of the prints left. So I started looking for a fourth fabric to go with the others. I bought one but didn't love it. I cut out all the blocks and started pinning it together. I HATED it! (It was either too pink or I didn't like the way the fabrics worked or didn't work together.) I couldn't give this to my friend's baby! So I went back to JoAnn, thankfully the flannel was on sale, and bought something totally different. I loved what I bought and I LOVED the way it went together. Here's the end result:
I hope to get a picture of Lily laying on the blanket, someday.
Don't think that I'm going to waste the other flannel. The Relief Society, the woman's organization in our church, has asked us to do some service for our community this year and report about it at a dinner. I will make the rag quilt and donate it. I'm also working with a few sewing group friends to make afghans to donate to Real Services. As a family we are also going to adopt one or two elderly people and help them have a better Christmas than they would. Should be fun.